(Introduction: This blog post is directed towards those who are looking for work, and are severely affected by the current downturn. It is for the people who are searching for oil and gas jobs online, and will be feeling some strong emotions. This post is not for potential drillers.com partners, although they might like to take a read to understand the culture of the new drillers.com.)
We are less than a month into the launch of the new drillers.com and development is progressing at a steady rate. If there are any features that you would like to see, or ideas for the site, then feel free to let us know.
The 600 pound gorilla: There aren’t enough new drilling jobs
But first, lets deal with the 600 pound gorilla that we are all facing. There aren’t enough new drilling jobs available in the oil and gas industry, in comparison to the number of people out of work.
There aren’t enough jobs… Period.
We all know how this has happened, and what is NOT being done about it. It seems that the supply glut is likely to continue for the foreseeable future, with increases in oil prices resulting in increased production and more DUC’s being bought online.
So we would like to make it clear:
- We can’t promise that spending time on drillers.com will get you back to work.
- We cant promise that there will be any new jobs posted that suit your specific skills, needs and geographic location choices.
- We can’t promise anything solid, for you in particular, or for anyone else.
The people behind the new drillers.com have also had a challenging year, struggling at times based on cash flow and business uncertainty.
When tenders and contracts are cancelled, and when the majors decide to reduce their E&P budgets by large percentages everyone in the industry feels the knock on effects. We all suffer from the lower confidence levels, cancelled orders and later settlements of invoices.
Next year may be worse than this year, it is quite likely.
In this regard, we can’t promise you anything, so please don’t expect too much, as we are in the same industry downturn as you are. We will still do our best, but that won’t be enough for everyone.
Why we are still positive for the future…
What is keeping us motivated, is sharing a vision, a dream for how the industry will look and behave once the crisis is over. We are betting with our wallets in the development of our online business interests.
Some of us don’t have a lot of investment capital, but are betting our time, energy and enthusiasm, which many a billionaire would see as priceless. There are others among the new drillers.com partnership who are investing time and money, with no sure guarantees…
Some people have questioned whether it is worth their time in completing their profile here, and we can’t answer that for you. As mentioned, time is a precious commodity for all of us. Whilst creating a profile might only take 10-30 minutes, that is still valuable time that you might think is better spent elsewhere.
Only complete your profile, and return to the website if some of what we are saying resonates with you, if you think that you can share our dream in some small way.
To help you decide, here are a few guidelines regarding how we intend to conduct ourselves, and the website:
1) We wont pretend that we have lots of jobs listed in order to manipulate you into registering. We want candidates and partners who would gladly spend 10-30 minutes joining, and supporting us anyway.
2) We won’t publish spam posts on LinkedIn to pretend that we are something we are not, or can offer something that we can’t. There will be no ‘jobs in Dubai send your CV’ posts with 5000 likes and 500 comments, when there is no particular job that we are advertising.
3) We won’t publish posts or information that is basically a regurgitation of the mainstream media. We believe that sources should be cited, not blatantly copied or parroted.
4) We wont entertain (or tolerate) fake news, propaganda, racial, political or religious incitement to hatred. The internet is awash with that already.
5) We will only publish information and posts by people who are in the industry, regardless of individual sector. Engineers, Geologists, Analysts, Drillers, Physicists, even HR Assistants or Recruiters are welcome, as long as they are in the oil business. Generic Social Media Managers, Bloggers, Public Relations or Content Creators are not.
6) We will keep it real, and tell it like it is.
7) We believe that the future of the industry will mean that employers and candidates will be more careful where they spend time. We couldn’t be all things to all people, and wouldn’t want to. This will never be an online oil and gas superstore with every person and topic under the sun. there wont be 10 million monthly page views, 1000 different types of jobs, and articles about 99% of the topics that are irrelevant to you.
Lets keep it exclusive, niche specific and targeted. Want a job on a drilling team? go to drillers.com Want to hire that person? Go to drillers.com. Lets cut out the noise and distraction, (again, time is precious).
We think that that this mini manifesto of 7 points, will benefit you, and save you far more time than the 30 minutes it takes to set up your profile. Right?
The main reason why you should register here:
The internet is evolving very quickly, there was a time when any of us would be surprised if our name was mentioned on the internet. That time was only around 15 years ago. Now we have all of the social media networks, personal and business blogs, company websites and even the comments that we make are appearing in search results under our name.
Employers, business partners and clients are now doing internet searches before making decisions. No results at all are a huge red flag in most situations. Just having your Facebook and LinkedIn results will not make you stand out from the crowd.
Having a good search result profile is known as online reputation management, and a great result will bring your CV, resume or business proposal to the top of the pile.
If you are involved in drilling, having a filled out and up to date profile on drillers.com will be a vital entry under your name, near the top of the search results.
We believe that having a drillers.com profile will be an essential asset to your online presence in the future. With the great crew change, and younger generations being increasingly internet reliant and savvy, seizing every opportunity to create a good impression is the very least that you should be doing.
So, go ahead and register if you haven’t already, take a calculated gamble about how you spend 10- 30 minutes of your life, join our vision of the future…
… But only if you can accept that we offer no promises or guarantees of work.
Serial Energy Entrepreneur. Webmaster at drillers.com. Founder of Out of the Box Innovations Ltd. Co-Founder of Natural Resource Professionals Ltd. Traveller and Outdoorsman, Husband, Father. Technology/Internet Geek.